Thursday, June 10, 2010

DIY: Coffee Creamer

I'm not a big fan of the store-bought version of this stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love it in my coffee. I just don't like paying $4 a pop for something with lots of ingredients that require a dictionary to understand), and some of them contain trans fat. Don't be fooled by the 0 trans fat claim. Check the ingredient list and you may find partially hydrogenated oil.

None of that stuff in my version. Here's what it consists of:
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
milk
flavoring or extract of your choice
First, find a container similar in size and shape to the coffee creamer container you see in the store. Here's a perfect example. (Hint: get the 27 0z. size) Add the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and top it off with whatever kind of milk you want. (I use 2%) If you want flavoring, add it as well. Put the top on, mix and refrigerate. You now have coffee creamer that costs about half what you pay for it in the store, and isn't AS bad for you as the commercially made stuff.

Since there aren't nearly as many preservatives and junk in the DIY version, it will cross over to the dark side after a week or so. If you're a regular coffee drinker, this shouldn't be a problem. In out house, a batch seldom lasts more than a week.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment